Thursday, September 23, 2010

Weather reports.

It's raining...a lot. In fact, its flooding...a lot. I have spoken with some folks from Spring Valley and they said it wasn't bad enough to call in the back-ups so we should be good for Saturday. Truth be told, the worst of the flooding is in a town called Pine Island which is 15 miles northwest of Rochester. Where we're headed is south and east.

That said, I am planning to drive out to the lowest parts of the course tomorrow sometime to take a look at things. I expect to find peanut buttery roads with plenty of squish. My hope is that the water hasn't worn away any of the actual road, but I won't know until I see it tomorrow.

As of right now the ride is still on and will not be canceled. The only way I would consider a cancellation would be the introduction of some irreversible act of nature that makes the roads completely unrideable and I don't see that happening.

With high winds and no rain expected for late tonite and all day tomorrow I think we'll be in the clear. However, plan for water in the creek. I'm sure that'll be unavoidable at this point.

If anything changes, I'll put it up here.

5 comments:

Crunchy Potatoes said...

Is there a ride around option for the water crossing?

Grrrk said...

There wasn't this spring, but you'll make it through fine. I ended up taking my shoes and socks off an wading across. The water was less than knee deep. I think that some of the more aggressive riders were able to ride across.

Fonk said...

I was able to ride through it during the Almanzo. It sounds like there's probably a lot more rain to fill it this time around, though, so the water could be deeper/faster this time.

Chris Skogen said...

I'm heading down now to take a look at the low parts (including the water crossing). I'll post more when I get back, as well as update the Twitter feed. http://twitter.com/Almanzo100

Death Rider said...

Whatif we did a shorter version if the route does not work?