Monday, July 26, 2010

July 2010 Update

So I've been AWOL for a bit. That's the way it goes. I'll do my best to bring you up to speed.

The race came and went in May and it was a huge success. So much so in fact that I have spent the last two and a half months decompressing. In that time I was lucky enough to hang out and ride with a whole bunch of great folks at the WDB and the Nature Valley Grand Prix. Two fantastic events put together and hosted by fantastic folks!

Shortly after that I announced and began planning for the Gentlemen's Ride in September. I am just now beginning to get postcard entries and things are looking up for this stunning fall classic. *NOTE* If you are in need of a team or would like to find that other person to ride with, use the comments section in the link above to work it out. Or send me a message and we'll figure it out.

By the time July rolled around there were fireworks, sweltering hot days, a Minneapolis job offer and a death in the family. The first two were manageable, but the latter took a toll.

Long story short. My grandfather died and my family did our best to send him on his way in the best form possible. We gathered together and mourned as a group which, for my family, is pretty amazing.

The job offer came from Molly at Kings Wine Bar in Minneapolis and while I would have truly enjoyed being part of the KWB/Minneapolis community, I decided that the fledgling Rochester cycling scene needed me more than Minneapolis...at least for now. It might not be the ideal situation, but right now I need to focus my energy on continuing to build free cycling (a la Almanzo) in Rochester, Spring Valley as well as greater Southeastern Minnesota.

So that's the short story. It's been a long year...and it's just getting to the good part!

What's on deck? Right now I am getting ready to ride some gravel north to Two Harbors and possibly the Canadian border. Here is the route and we're leaving tomorrow (Tuesday) morning if anybody wants to ride out and ride along for a bit. In fact, if you're interested, send me a message at almanzo100 at gmail.com and I'll get you my contact info so we can hook up and ride.

All the best,
Chris

2 comments:

Fonk said...

The Minneapple's loss, but I'm glad to hear you'll keep the burgeoning cycling scene going on down in Rochester (and Spring Valley!).

J-No said...

That sounds like an awesome ride. I hope you are having a good trip.

J-No