Monday, March 1, 2010

nooze.


CIRREM was tough. There are a lot of hills down there, the steepest coming in at a grade of 17% (at mile 43 of 63). The roads started out hard and fast and gradually turned into squishy, greasy peanut butter. It got so bad in fact that I stopped to remove my front fender. As I was riding, the crap coming out of the front fender resembled Play-doh being smashed through one of those "hair" making devices. With the front fender off riding got better, but not great. I had to stop again a few miles later to remove the rear fender (just as I did with the front, by removing the brake calipers and unscrewing the fender stays...it sucked). All in all, it was a good effort and I'm sort of happy with my finish. I'll get back to that in the next day or so when I can clear my mind a bit and sort through the small amount of photos I managed to capture.

On Wednesday I have to meet with the lady from Summit whom I worked with last year to discuss their liability and subsequent concerns regarding the Almanzo beer situation. They've said that I need to have a license or permit to serve alcohol if they are going to be able to donate in-kind this year. Since I have neither and will most likely not be able to get one in the short time that is left between now and race day, the future of the beer situation is up in the air until sometime Wednesday night. I'll keep you posted on that situation as well.

That said, I have hopes of getting these concerns resolved early this week and getting back to the immediate tasks at hand which are typing up packet envelopes and writing the notes that are to be stuffed inside them. Thankfully there are things like the Slick 50 and Ragnarok which are both guaranteed ways to break up the workload and keep a smile on my face.

Best,
Chris

2 comments:

Fonk said...

Whoa, that's some serious mud...

jwefam said...

Congrats on your ride in Iowa. Serious mud, indeed. I appreciate hearing about all the planning going into this event, especially the meeting with the Summit rep. I think I speak for many in hoping this important component of the event gets worked out accordingly.