Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mentally Unfit

I failed. I talked myself out of it. I gave up on myself because I was cold. I was wet and I was weak. I DNF'd in Des Moines last weekend and I am ashamed. I have no race report because I am embarrassed. I could blame quitting on having a mechanical issue, but that would be ridiculous. I gave up. I will tell you, however, that the weather was nasty, the riders were friendly and the farm animals seemed to be hiding under whatever cover they could find. My bike choice was poor (fixed cross bike running 39/17). The hills were plenty and the rain was never ending. Iowa is beautiful. I strongly recommend giving this one a try next year. The organizers were great and the pre and post-race food at this place was pretty sweet. Thanks again to the folks in Central Iowa for allowing me to give it a go, I'm just sorry I couldn't talk myself into finishing.

3 comments:

Steve Fuller said...

These races are as much about mental state as they are physical preparedness. Lots of things can affect your mental state. Learn from the experience and move on. If you were cold and wet, what changes will you make to your clothing to prevent that from happening next time? If you can answer that question, then you had a successful event.

Buckshot77 said...

Considering the rest of the guys that DNF'd as well, I don't think I'd rank this as a total failure. Just rank it as a failure to properly estimate the kick in the junk Iowa Gravel can provide.

kc said...

thanks for making the journey to our little event chris. next year will be better weather...just because i don't think it could be any worse. good luck with the almanzo.